- Understand the purpose of lesson with an explanation
- Gain an enduring understanding and apply to future learning
- Access the enduring understanding and assume responsibility towards meaningful independent projects
- Provide formative assessments that provide direct feedback to students and drive instruction accordingly
- Provide collaborative social networking that match activities to their individual interests
- Use talk that is accountable for individual learning and use this technique to critique, explain and understand the reasoning of others
- Build upon each otherís ideas, analyze differing perspectives and share commonalities in their reasoning
~Connection between Design Principles and Rituals and Routines
- Opening- engages, activate, and introduce (clarity and understanding)
- Work time- collaborate, share, struggle with content (academic discourse, personalization, collaboration, independent work)
- Closing- summary and reflection (closure, formative assessment) ~A validation of student learning Rituals and routines target specific student outcomes and is the vehicle for classroom management.
- This consistency in lesson delivery prevents disruption since all students know what to expect in the lesson.
~Detectives in Learning
- Present new learning experiences as mysteries that need solving by prime detectives. Learning is mysterious to each learner and should be taught in a manner in which students create their own meaning from the text and information given, like a detective learners create their own enduring understanding when information is internalized versus information thrown at the learner for simple regurgitation.
Tips in teaching for a solid Enduring Understanding:
- Think of teaching the lesson like watching a movie or reading a novel as giving away the ending ruins the entire exploratory experience for the learner.
- Teachers must keep the mystery alive and allow students appropriate time to process and solve the mystery. Based on the information text given, students should then explain the outcome and rational of the solution to others.
- This method of teaching creates a more meaningful learning experience that endures through time allowing students to carry that knowledge with them and use this knowledge in more complex problem solving situations.
- Spoiler Alert – When reading a novel it is considered rude to give away the ending, teaching is should abide by these same rules of etiquette. No one likes a spoiler; we must present lessons as mysteries and allow students to become detectives and find their solution which creates a deeper meaning behind the information taught.